frogsack

Author Topic: Lynch mobs  (Read 275765 times)

Rommel459

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Lynch mobs
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:44:54 AM »
I'm kind of curious about how everyone feels they are balanced now... I think they got significantly harder to deal with after the nerf than they were before it.

what do the rest of you think?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:55:25 AM by Logan »

wabbajak

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: V1.1.41 lynch mobs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
I have yet to fight them in a fortified, trapped location as they seem to always strike while I'm prepping or when I take my combat squad out to fetch food etc.  They attacked my 3 best fighters (policeman, athlete, carpenter, all strong) who were all uninjured, and all had improved close combat baseball bats (spiked) while they were in a regular house, and the lynch mob killed them all.  I don't remember them being that fierce before.

Snoopicus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:29:36 AM »
Last two times I fought them I was inside fully fortified buildings, both times with a mix of melee and ranged weapons and ammo. Got slaughtered both times.

So basically I just give up whoever they ask for every time, and if it was someone key to my group I just restart.

The current lynch mobs basically invalidate the entire move + scavenge + light bonfire and move on strategy, which otherwise works pretty well (though it doesn't really let you break into special buildings). I'm not sure I like that.

Snoopicus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
Update. Fought them again this time. Had two shotguns and a rifle, with lots of ammo. Three survivors at the fight location. Was inside the university if I recall - no traps or barricades, I was just breaching/searching. I lost the survivor they were after, everyone else was fine. Three members of the mob got away.

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
The topic here is for 1.1.41, but I think you're referring to the latest version. If not, you should upgrade, as it includes some modifiers on the lynch mob dilemma.

Generally, a bunch of shotguns, strong relationships, traps, and any survivors on patrol or sniping duty, should make the mob manageable; fortified or secured houses will reduce the likelihood that they'll attack.

Having said that, we're working on a patch to add some extra spotting reports that will give hints about the mob's movements.

Snoopicus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
I am speaking about the latest version. It was just a lynch mob topic so I replied. Perhaps lock this thread?

usbfridge

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Lynch mobs
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
I think it would be better to add more options and have them more involved and uncommon. Other than adding options, like negotiations or bribing, I think they are too unknown and common. You are in a deserted town swarming with the undead, and every fifth person alive has a horde of heavily armed bandits looking to hang them, even willing to die? And they just walk right in unharmed and unoticed every time. Have them be alot more uncommon, but alot more important when they do come around. Have them steal supplies, be enemies while raiding houses, even make a way to get survivors through them.

Rommel459

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »
only patrol/sniping helps against them...? not lookout...? that might be part of why they are so hard to deal with for me... i will have to experiment with this.

Anabanana

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »
One of my Let's Play viewers got this game recently, and he's been having quite a bit of trouble with the lynch mob that I don't think he's supposed to be having.

Hahahaha I have a funny story about that.

I had gotten INCREDIBLY lucky and gotten every clue needed for rescuing in the first day. On top of that, my rescue location was the wonderfully easy to defend BANK, which was right next to the police station. So I spend a few days getting the bank up to fortified, riddling it with traps, and took ALL of the ammunition and weaponry from the police station. So we were well-defended, armed to the teeth, and nobody was injured or hungry. I think one was 'flagging' and everyone else was 'fresh'.

Then the mafia came, two hours before the rescue time. Of course, given my situation, with well over two hundred rounds for everything and like four assault rifles, I basically laughed it off. I mean, come on, they were just being suicidal here. So I refused.

They killed everyone. All five of my survivors, dead, just two hours before they would have escaped, in what was quite possibly the most 'ideal' combat situation in the entire game. That... That should not be happening, and is a pretty big flag to me that something about the balance there is wrong. Whether intentionally or unintentionally.

So yeah. I have a lot of feelings about the fucking mafia.

Could this possibly be a bug of some sort?

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
While it's not really a bug in the usual sense, it's not what we want to happen (or if it does, it should be very, very unlikely).

We've spent the past couple of days looking into this and hope to have a patch out over the next day or so. It does a number of things:

• The mob (and the super zombie, plus some others) are more strategic in how they operate. They'll no longer just pop up at random locations - they 'watch' your movements and respond accordingly.
  • Any survivors spotting for zombies now have a good chance of reporting that they've seen someone (or something) a few hours before they strike.
  • Traps and patrolling survivors now have a bigger chance of thinning out the mob numbers before they strike
  • Strong relationships have stronger effects; weak relationships have weaker effects.
  • Probably one of the biggest changes is that we'll now track dilemma stats from players, which should help us fine tune things.

Finally, don't forget there's always one guaranteed way of beating the mob and making sure they never, ever come back...

Stay tuned for the patch!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:22:08 PM by David »

Anabanana

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick reply! And yeah, I know we can always turn over a survivor to let them get away, but the fucking mob pisses me off so much I'd rather have my entire group of survivors die than acquiesce to their demands.  So yeah, I'm really looking forward to the next patch!

Windsilk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
I'm kind of curious about the mob numbers.  I just lost a game earlier today due to a mob attack.  They showed up twice, the first time I was in a house with some traps, a 5 star patrol out, and everyone had both shotguns and melee weapons.  So I figured I'd try to take them on, ended up having two of my people killed but I killed everyone in the mob except for one guy.  Later on I was in worse shape, my group of 3 running a little ragged after having to search almost the whole town for my final evac clue.  So I was down to just three melee weapons in a house with some traps, my group a little beat up and it tells me the mob is attacking again.  I think to myself well it's just one guy I can probably manage so I fought them again.  All my survivors got killed, it didn't mention if I had killed any of them or not but I did notice it said that 2 of the mob members got caught in my traps.  So do they just completely replenish their numbers each time?  Is it actually possible to wipe out the whole mob in a fight?

Anabanana

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 12:57:20 AM »
So do they just completely replenish their numbers each time?  Is it actually possible to wipe out the whole mob in a fight?

From my experiences in the game, yes and yes. Whenever you let some of the mob flee, the diary entry always says something along the lines of "they will be back with reinforcements".

Windsilk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »
If you kill the whole mob in a single battle does that stop the event?  Or does a new mob show up later anyways?

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Yep, killing the entire mob will stop the event from occurring again.

archive
archive
archive
archive