Author Topic: Some text inconsistences  (Read 288713 times)

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Some text inconsistences
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »
I have noticed that in some case the subject of the sentence seems to be missing, or a "she" is used before being told who is that "she" (It might come in the next sentence).
Unfortunately, I don't have a dairy to show. I haven't found yet how to save it... (and experienced a crash)

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Some text inconsistences
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:47 AM »
Thanks flap. I suspect there'll be a few tweaks to the text. If you experience it again, can you take a screenshot and attach it?

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
Sure

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »

Nothing too bad there, but a few comments :
- I do always enter by a small second storey window (but leading to different places). It always proves tricky when getting closer. Is this normal ?
- Is a garage meant to be on second store ? (well, that's possible actually. But i don't know if it is intended here)
- In the library, we are told that most fightd took place in the office.But maybe should we be told first that some fights occured (ok, it is really no that important, and could be a matter of style)
- "Without any spotter to warn us". Actually, Trevor was alone...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:29:35 PM by flap »

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
Yep, there's some stuff we can refine there. The engine doesn't always pick up on single-survivor contexts, but we can do something there.

With regards to the library comment, what's happened is that there are still zombies inside the location from the previous hour, so combat has 'continued'. What's odd is that while this was going on, Priscilla decided to wander around and look at some books, rather than immediately fight the zombies. She shouldn't be doing this though.

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
I reckon, refinement and bugs are 2 different things.

With Priscilla and the library, wouldn't it be possible that the text has been written in the reverse order things happened ? In some cases (no picture yet), I have had the "she" given just before the name was used. Events could have been swapped (or the pile read in the wrong direction...)

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
It's possible events are out of order and we'll look into that.

As for poor old Priscilla, that's certainly a bug.  She isn't supposed to go wandering around bookshelves while fighting zombies.

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »
I have finally reproduced that situation where I felt that subjects were switched. I have also have had again the situation where time flows slowly (by 20 mins). You can download the diary :
http://www.flap.fr/grenier/diary_19-09-2012_04.zdf

Error, and situation difficult to understand :

7:00 - (not a error) First time that I don't use that small second-storey window that is difficult to acces

Just before the event from 9:00 being written in the diary, a pop up window told me that Kesly was infected, and proposed me to kill here. Ok. However, the phrasing assumes that I knew already that she had got injured, while this happend in the part of the diary that hasn't been printed yet... It should written a bit differently to give me that info.

9:00 - Factory 3 highland road : Kesley received twice in the sentence from bruising. And there should be a capital letter to "And" after the dot. So that sentence looks weird...
9:00 - Good old second storey window that is tricky
9:00 - "We killed Kesley". Well, Angel is alone... Also I am pretty sure that I choose to let here live (but can't verify. I'll have to test again)

From there I send Angel patroling. Time starts flowing by 20 minutes

3:10 - "Kesley's corpse came back (...). He got caught (...)". It really sounds like that it is Kesley's corpse that got caught. It feels like the sentences in the paragraph are not in the intended order.
3:10 - "Distracted by the taste of flesh, Angel (...)". Well, I suppose that it is the creature that is distracted...

Angel keeps patroling. After sending him to break a different place, times goes back flowing in hours.

5:50 - goog old small second-storey window that is tricky.

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 06:24:45 AM »
From a different session :
"Using a butter knife, she counted zero zombies outside"
How is a butter knife supposed to help me counting zombies ?

Reading a character sheet :
"She claim's she isn't racist. She just doesn't like the look of ."
We don't have the name of the person she doesn't like. Actually, that person just died. Maybe we should have that prejudice be removed...

End game, I have had the event with the super zombie :
"The massacre may bear some fruit. We should head back to the store (...) "
Well, everybody died just the paragraph before. So that text should be skipped.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:57:37 AM by flap »

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
This is brilliant, flap. Keep 'em coming.

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
I have got one more :
"Drew was attacked by a zombie while on patrol. That was the last we saw of him.
  stopped their patrol because of the attack"
The last sentence should be skipped, Drew is dead. Also the subject is missing.

Activity change that is not clear :

6:00 - "Caroline stopped watching (...)", a few lines later "Caroline was watching (...)". Well, we should decide : did Caroline stop watching or not ?

Also, during another fight, locations were not perfectly clear :
"Most fight took place in the first bathroom... Monica bashed a zombie's (...). Caroline smashed a zombie's (...).
Meanwhile in the attic... Monica bashed (...)"
So, where is Monica ? In the attic or in the bathroom ? Ok, she might have moved, but then that "Meanwhile" does not seem appropriate (though I can imagine a logic there : first fight is Monica in bathroom, second is Caroline in the bathroom, third is Monica in the attic)

Finally, I have had a line of text that really seemed out of place :
"Caroline stopped working. She is taking some rest"
That is perfectly true. However, the 2 girls have been fighting zombies since 8 hours or more, and there now are 26 corpses lying around. They managed to kill all them them every turn, so I could assign them to a job (watching). But that "working" really sounds too casual. I would rather have imagined "watching" used as verb, or a more dramatic sentence, such as "Carolin was too exhausted to do anything. She is now trying to take some rest"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:30:04 PM by flap »

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:22 AM »
- Just a typo :
"Hannah reported that a large mob of zombies are outside the factory". It should be "is outside the factory"

Also, I correct a previous statement : when clicking on the "choose to kill the infected" event, the correct choice is applied. It probably was a mistake that I did last time. However, I confirm that the way it is written looks really odd ("turns out those lacerations were not so benign"). We had no clue that someone had been injured yet.

- Later in the game : Alexander has just died from a fever. But the panel to the left displays 0 zombies, and 0 corpses. I would have expected to see Alexander's body counted somwhere... (And still no corpse counted next turn, when he revived and we killed him. The option "kill a corpse" is unavailable).

- Still later in the game, I have another infected

iI looks really surrealistic : Hannah is infected. Both Lee and Hannah want to kill her (then she would like to commit suicide), but that would affect Lee.
Well, the way it is written, it sounds weird and wrong : as if Hanna wanted to kill someone else, and Lee and changed its mind in one sentence. Looks like a bug
However, I can very well that imagine that she want's to suicide, lee agrees that it is what they should do, but can't resolve himself to do that. If it is the case, it might require some rewording.

An information that might be usefull, Lee hates Hannah (red line with prejudice from lee toward hannah.

Also, once Hannah will be killed, there won't be any "we" anymore. (But this is general with everytime "we" is used.)

As a side note, Hannah might be pretty affected too by the fact she gets killed  :P

EDIT : That was a bug. Check the diary report :

- Later, I have something weird. But I have no idea if it is normal or a bug :

3:00 - I asked lee to treat Hannah's injuries. They got interrupted. So they couldn't. Every normal (except that Hannah kept watching while she had just said that she stopped. But I reported that one already)
4:00 - Hannah is cleaning corpses, Lee is watching, but he nonetheless treats Hannah's injuries. Wouldn't it be some remnants of last turn ? (Hannah still has 3 corpses to get rid of at the end of the turn)

-------------
Different game (the last crashed, as usual... damn low video memory notebook)

2 things, but I am really not sure that they are bugs :

7:00 - derrick tells that we are very noisy. But there are only 2 persons in the house, himself watching and someone else trying to build barricade slowly and quietly. That person is 3 stars in barricading, is using a fire ace and a hammer. Maybe is it normal, but it sounded unsual to me.

9:00 - Pamela returns from a trip. But a few lines later, she is never mentionned in the fight with the zombies. This looks suspicious to me...

- Also, I realise now that whatever number of zombies are around the house and scratchinf barricades, the survivors can always move in and out without any problem. ( in that case, Pamela left and came back while many barricades were being attacked and 2 zombies were breacking in every turn.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:04:19 AM by flap »

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
Quick update. Most of the typos mentioned here have now been corrected and will be in the next beta build. Also, many of the missing references and major language bugs (like that weird Infected dilemma report you mentioned) have also been fixed.

Thanks for your help, flap.

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
Good to know David ! So I won't come back to previous comment if there is still a bit of it remaining.

I am going through another playthrough. So has you guys are still awake be aware that I'll update that post as I find new stuff for the next hour (don't assume that you have red it in 10 min...)

First thing and second sentence of the diary : 
"Among our fragile group, we have a cleaner, police officer and firefighter." I am not 100% sure there as english is not my first langage, but I would have added a "a" before police officer and "firefighter"

Edit : That's all for now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:07:19 PM by flap »

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
A new session starts (V 1.1.1 third edition)

"Cindy shot and skewered the zombies with a handgun and skrewdriver". I think that there should be a "a" before "skrewdriver" (similar problem already noter earlier)

1:00 - It it difficult for me to get an idea of what is going on here...
So, Cindy was playing chess and barricading at the same, but had to stop both activities to be treated.
But as she kept playing and barricading contrary to what she pretended 2 lines earlier, she neither managed to win, nor build anyhting. The treatment isn't finished as well.
Damned, I know that women claim to be able to do different things at the same time. But it really doesn't seem efficient. And is somewhat confusing for an average man like me...

2:00 - Now, they are getting frankly psychotic : Regina is trying to heal Cindy but might be bragging at Regina which causes her to break regina's leg. But good old Regina keeps trying to heal Cindy, and wins a game that no-one is playing.
Well, I see a leats a bug with mutliple activites there (or we should be told that they started again playing). But overall situation really looks awkward.

3:00 - (not in screenshot) some zombies broke in and interrupted that brillant scene.  "Regina took command and lead Cindy into the kitchen". Ok
4:00 - "Without any spotter to warn us, we were caught out of guard". Argh. How come they did not watch ? They just fled into the kitchen, so I would bet that they were aware that zombie were around the place. The "no order when zombies are inside" really seems too strict here. They should at least automatically switch to watch (and maybe be allowed to try to flee if the room has an exit. But that last one is more a suggestion than a bug report)

Different game : Kung Fu baseball !
"Alan attacked 5 zombies while on patrol. He took care of them. Equipped with 2 baseball bats, he struck down five of them"
2 baseball bats, I have got such a wild image in mind now. But I think that you told that it was a bug. Maybe he took a spare one...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:54:45 AM by flap »

archive
archive
archive
archive