frogsack

Author Topic: (Solved) Question About Fullscreen 'Real Estate'  (Read 4020 times)

vince0018

• Survivor
    • View Profile
(Solved) Question About Fullscreen 'Real Estate'
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
 Just picked up the game from GOG, and have been enjoying it so far, although I'm still on the first day.

One thing I've noticed though, is when I'm playing (in fullscreen) the game itself doesn't fill up the whole screen, leaving large black bars on all four sides.

I had a similar problem with another game, but was able to fix it with QRes. However that didn't work on this game.

So I was just wondering if the game was designed to only use 50% of the screen for some reason?
 I know to enlarge it would cause a bit of stretching, but it's much harder on my eyes when reading through the text at this size.

Edit:

Ok I was able to fix my issue using QRes afterall.
I feel like such an idiot, but I created the batch file and forget to put the actual QRes .exe in the folder.
Setting the games resolution to (edit) 1024x768 this way, enlarges the game screen to nearly take up the full screen, so now I can see much better.

If anyone else has this issue and would like a walkthrough/tutorial on how to fix it, let me know.

Vince
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:19:23 PM by vince0018 »

iMuzzaa

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Question About Fullscreen 'Real Estate'
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
Yeah, could you please tell me how you managed to fix the black border around the game? It's going to screw up my eyes constantly squinting at it.

vince0018

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
Short Version:
Here's a short easy way to do it, if you want the long version keep reading:

Download the QRes.exe and ZafehouseDiaries.bat packed by my self into a .rar here:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22948476/Zafehouse+QRes.rar

Extract the .rar and place the ZafehouseDiaries.bat and QRes.exe into the Zafehouse Diaries game directory, alongside the ZafehouseDiaries.exe
Create a shortcut to desktop from the .bat, so that you may launch it from there.
Running the .bat will launch the game through Qres, changing your desktop resolution to 1280x800 and back to the resolution you have set by right-clicking
the .bat and choosing edit, then changing the resolution 1680x1050 to your native resolution. (Edit: Changing to 1024x768 instead of 1280x800 works much better.)
 -------
 Long Version + Instructions:

The first thing you need is QRes, which can be found here:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/QRes.shtml

Next extract the QRes.zip at the location you downloaded it to. (I always extract into a folder, so I don't accidentally lose anything.)
Place the QRes.exe into your Zafehouse: Diaries game folder, the same location the games .exe is.

Next we need to create a .bat to run it from.
If you create a text document in the games folder, again in the same location as the .exe (Right-click > New > Text Document)
Edit this text document and paste the following:

@echo off
QRes.exe /x:1024 /y:768 /r:60
ZafehouseDiaries.exe
QRes.exe /x:1680 /y:1050

(The second resolution [1680x1050] should be set to your native desktop resolution.)
Save the text document and exit.
You will then need to rename it, changing the extension from .txt to .bat (You may need to set your folder settings to reveal extensions, if you don't see them.)
I renamed mine to ZafehouseDiaries.bat

The .bat should now be functional, however you probably want to be able to launch it from your desktop (I do.)
Right-click the .bat and choose Send To > Desktop (Create Shortcut)

The .bat will now have a shortcut on your desktop.
You might want to change the icon as well, to make it look nice.
Right-click the .bat shortcut on the desktop and select Properties.
Under the Shortcut tab click Change Icon... Then browse to our Zafehouse: Diaries directory once again, and find the icon you wish to use.
(In my GOG version it's called gfw_high.ico)

----

Now double-clicking the icon on the desktop will run through QRes into your game.
What it will do is set your whole desktop resolution to the one set in the .bat; (currently above set to 1280x800)
Then when quitting the game it will reset your desktop resolution to the second resolution shown (mine is 1680x1050, so that one you should set to your desktop res.)

That should do it, I hope I didn't miss anything.

For me, at 1280x800 the screen only has a little black on top and more on the sides, but it's a definite improvement over what it was before.
I don't know if you want to play around with resolutions too much; but remember, the higher the resolution you set, the smaller the game screen will become,
and setting the resolution too low will make the game bigger than the screen.
(Edit: As stated/edited above, 1024x768 works the best.)

And for reference, here is where I learned how to do this myself:
http://www.unepicgame.com/phpBB3_en/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=643

Edit:
Oh, I almost forgot to mention one problem I've had with this though.
Some circumstances in-game can reset the resolution to default.
It seems to happen when you save things and the actual window pops up, like saving diaries or loading portraits/buildings.
So it doesn't happen in the middle of the game or anything. And a simple restart of the game (.bat) will fix it.

Vince
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:21:29 PM by vince0018 »

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »
Thanks for writing this up vince0018. We may look to include some sort of resolution switching into the base game via the options menu, though it would function very much like what you're doing here.

vince0018

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
 Do you happen to know exactly what resolution the game runs in?
I'm using 1280x800 as my closest guess, but it's not perfect. If I put in the actual game resolution it might fit a lot better.

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
Sure, the game runs at 1024 x 768.

vince0018

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
Thank You, that's perfect.

Setting QRes to 1024x768 + setting my GFX Card to run the game in Aspect Ratio mode, the game takes up as much of the screen as possible, without stretching.
(so there's only a bit of black bar on the side.)

That works much better, and sorry if I'm over-bumping this thread.

Vince

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
Just an FYI, this functionality is now built into the game as of v1.1.8 and can be enabled via the Options menu.

Silver

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
This is awesome. Thank you so much, Vince. I had tried the display scaling in the in-game options menu but it did nothing so your workaround finally lets me enjoy the game maxed out on my 1920 x 1200 monitor  :)

Sharry

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »
Short Version:
Here's a short easy way to do it, if you want the long version keep reading:

Download the QRes.exe and ZafehouseDiaries.bat packed by my self into a .rar here:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22948476/Zafehouse+QRes.rar

Extract the .rar and place the ZafehouseDiaries.bat and QRes.exe into the Zafehouse Diaries game directory, alongside the ZafehouseDiaries.exe
Create a shortcut to desktop from the .bat, so that you may launch it from there.
Running the .bat will launch the game through Qres, changing your desktop resolution to 1280x800 and back to the resolution you have set by right-clicking
the .bat and choosing edit, then changing the resolution 1680x1050 to your native resolution. (Edit: Changing to 1024x768 instead of 1280x800 works much better.)
 -------
 Long Version + Instructions:

The first thing you need is QRes, which can be found here:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/QRes.shtml

Next extract the QRes.zip at the location you downloaded it to. (I always extract into a folder, so I don't accidentally lose anything.)
Place the QRes.exe into your Zafehouse: Diaries game folder, the same location the games .exe is.

Next we need to create a .bat to run it from.
If you create a text document in the games folder, again in the same location as the .exe (Right-click > New > Text Document)
Edit this text document and paste the following:

@echo off
QRes.exe /x:1024 /y:768 /r:60
ZafehouseDiaries.exe
QRes.exe /x:1680 /y:1050

(The second resolution [1680x1050] should be set to your native desktop resolution.)
Save the text document and exit.
You will then need to rename it, changing the extension from .txt to .bat (You may need to set your folder settings to reveal extensions, if you don't see them.)
I renamed mine to ZafehouseDiaries.bat

The .bat should now be functional, however you probably want to be able to launch it from your desktop (I do.)
Right-click the .bat and choose Send To > Desktop (Create Shortcut)

The .bat will now have a shortcut on your desktop.
You might want to change the icon as well, to make it look nice.
Right-click the .bat shortcut on the desktop and select Properties.
Under the Shortcut tab click Change Icon... Then browse to our Zafehouse: Diaries directory once again, and find the icon you wish to use.
(In my GOG version it's called gfw_high.ico)

----

Now double-clicking the icon on the desktop will run through QRes into your game.
What it will do is set your whole desktop resolution to the one set in the .bat; (currently above set to 1280x800)
Then when quitting the game it will reset your desktop resolution to the second resolution shown (mine is 1680x1050, so that one you should set to your desktop res.)

That should do it, I hope I didn't miss anything.

For me, at 1280x800 the screen only has a little black on top and more on the sides, but it's a definite improvement over what it was before.
I don't know if you want to play around with resolutions too much; but remember, the higher the resolution you set, the smaller the game screen will become,
and setting the resolution too low will make the game bigger than the screen.
(Edit: As stated/edited above, 1024x768 works the best.)

And for reference, here is where I learned how to do this myself:
http://www.unepicgame.com/phpBB3_en/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=643

Edit:
Oh, I almost forgot to mention one problem I've had with this though.
Some circumstances in-game can reset the resolution to default.
It seems to happen when you save things and the actual window pops up, like saving diaries or loading portraits/buildings.
So it doesn't happen in the middle of the game or anything. And a simple restart of the game (.bat) will fix it.

Vince

Thanks for writing this up vince0018. Please check keto slim diet pills here!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:52:45 AM by Sharry »

archive
archive
archive
archive