Author Topic: Welcome. Also, why are you here?  (Read 303542 times)

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Welcome. Also, why are you here?
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Thanks for stopping by. We're working hard on the game right now so things might be a bit quiet for the next few weeks.

In the meantime, tell us a bit about why you're here. What appeals to you most about Zafehouse: Diaries? Interested in modding? Played the original Zafehouse?

Zangi

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome. Also, why are you here?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Hey...  looks cool and all, concept and everything about it... but... is the original Zafehouse still available somewhere?

You speak of sacrifice, so I am guessing that you may be able to find replacement survivors?
How random is the setting you start with each time you do a new game? 
Would the player be able to modify starting settings?  More/less zombie presence... City/Town/Village/Rural starting location?  More/less random other human interaction?  (Or if there would be other 'competing' survivor groups around the area?)

Also yea, I just randomly came back to check if you did any new Zafehouse stuff... this seems to fit the bill nicely...

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
Hi Zangi,

I'd like to get the classic Zafehouse site running again at some stage, but until then, check out this (very recent) post: http://www.zafehouse.com/2012/06/looking-for-the-original-zafehouse/

It contains links to the original game and its source code.

To answer your questions about Zafehouse: Diaires:

You speak of sacrifice, so I am guessing that you may be able to find replacement survivors?
It will be possible to find new survivors, yes. Currently we're looking to start the game with two survivors, with a possible maximum of five. Keep in mind a focus in Z:D is on relationships -- building strong, positive bonds between survivors is not a straightforward, fast affair. So if you're constantly getting survivors killed, it's going to impact your effectiveness in the long run as you try and build new relationships.

How random is the setting you start with each time you do a new game?
We randomly generate the following content each game:
* The survivors and their names, occupations, prejudices, portraits, backgrounds and statistics.
* The distribution of all items, as well as item statistics.
* The town map, including the look of buildings, the number and types of rooms they contain, as well as entrances and windows and their accessibility.
* The number of zombies inside locations.
* Dilemmas (special events) may not occur in every game.
* Loads more. If you can think of something, ask and I'll let you know!

Would the player be able to modify starting settings?
Internally, these are all settings that can be changed without a great deal of difficulty, so allowing the player control is definitely possible. We haven't made a final decision on what will be accessible in the first version of the game, but I imagine updates will expand this functionality. I should mention the game is extremely moddable -- you can add your own names and photos for locations and survivors, and using C#, you can change and add your own events, dilemmas, items and orders.

Geoffers747

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
Hey there!

Well, I played the original Zafehouse and was damn excited for Zafehouse 2 and have been eagerly awaiting it for like two and a half years now! haha. I had meant to tweet Logan to ask what was happening with it all, but to cut a long story short I haven't had internet for the past 2 and a half months so that didn't happen. 

Thought I would just check on the website to see if there were any updates, and to my surprise zafehouse diaries loaded instead so I thought I'd sign up to the forums and say hi!

Edit: Just out of interest, have you guys heard of/played project zomboid?

Also, how big will the town be once it's generated? I know it says it's a randomly generated decision, but just a general idea of how many buildings will be on the map would be cool.

Thirdly, will there be hostile survivors? I noticed the first image on the media page shows you choosing which items to leave behind, so for example: if your whole group were to move out to scavenge an area could you come back to find that you've been burgled or something?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:44:39 AM by Geoffers747 »

Zangi

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:43:45 AM »
Alright, sounds fine with me, though I'm personally more interested in modified game settings, but ya, that other stuff is cool too.  Might end up making pokemon, ponies or some anime characters as survivors for the heck of it...

Pikachu and Ponyta's relationship is extremely bad, they spent the whole time arguing instead of repairing the barricades.  It almost came to fisticuffs.

Here is another question, how much is this going to cost?

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
Edit: Just out of interest, have you guys heard of/played project zomboid?
We have indeed. I like the direction it's going, but it's not something we've been looking at while developing Z:D.

Also, how big will the town be once it's generated? I know it says it's a randomly generated decision, but just a general idea of how many buildings will be on the map would be cool.

There are roughly 20 - 30 locations on a map (the map screenshot on the Media page is typical).

Thirdly, will there be hostile survivors? I noticed the first image on the media page shows you choosing which items to leave behind, so for example: if your whole group were to move out to scavenge an area could you come back to find that you've been burgled or something?

We do have hostile survivors, but you'll have to wait and see what kind of trouble they can cause. If you have ideas about hostile survivors, we'd love to hear it. Feel free to start a new topic in Suggestions.

Here is another question, how much is this going to cost?

We're still working on pricing, but it will be standard fare for the indie strategy game genre.

Geolas

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:17 AM »
I just read about this game when downloading the Dead Island helper.
Sounds freaking awesome!
In which languages will it be available and when will be the release date?
No matter how hard it is, dont hug zombies!

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »
Hi Geolas. The game is technically finished, but we have to wait for the Australian Classification Board to give it a rating before we can release it. We're hoping to release it at the end of August - subscribe to the newsletter/Twitter feed to hear the final date.

The game is in English. We're not sure yet how we'll support other languages, but it'll most likely be through modding.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:44:15 AM by David »

flap

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »
Hello !

Since I have discovered zafehouse a few years ago, I check this website once a while. And I am extremelly pleased to see that you have managed to push that game further !

HangedMan

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
Hello !

Since I have discovered zafehouse a few years ago, I check this website once a while. And I am extremelly pleased to see that you have managed to push that game further !
This is basically what I want to say as well. I fell in love with the simple, yet complex and challenging, first game. And every so often, I found myself coming back, waiting patiently for the next game to come out.

And once this is out, I have no doubts that I'll still be lurking around here, waiting, once more, for yet another game.  :)

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
I reckon you'll get substantially more play time out of Diaries than the original Zafehouse. Plus, with the modding capabilities, there are few limits on what players can add to the game. :)

HangedMan

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
I reckon you'll get substantially more play time out of Diaries than the original Zafehouse. Plus, with the modding capabilities, there are few limits on what players can add to the game. :)
I am quite excited to see it get released. I might even take a whack at modding it, though my coding skills amount to taking stabs in the dark.  By the way, any definite release date yet?

Zangi

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
So... how long does the Australian rating people normally take to... rate the game or whatever it is they do?  Feels like they've been dragging their knuckles...

Duck

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
Hello, I was browsing through the Steam Greenlight, since it was introduced, I saw a variety of new games I was interested in. I've always been a Zombie enthusiast (Making in-depth plans when I was in Middle School, yep, I was one of those guys.)

I saw this, and what immediately clicked with me was the interpersonal relationships, and the importance between them. Most zombie games you see have a united cause of unimportant red-shirt characters that really have no development, save for the main ones, who work with you no matter what. Or, in most, you see that the zombies are no threat, and, as a result, you have a lot of lone-wolf style characters.

I saw this concept as rebellious to the dumbed down norm that most video games carry, and I immediately downloaded the game. I really enjoy it, and hope it gets the exposure it deserves. Also, the ability to modify the game, in or out of the game itself, is really a plus.

Screwfly Studios, I am excited for this release the most, and that's why I'm here.

Rommel459

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
I also came here because i saw it on greenlight and liked the concept of the game.

archive
archive
archive
archive