Author Topic: Demo Feedback  (Read 2046 times)

Madaras

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Demo Feedback
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »
Hey bro. So having played your demo here are my opinions and observations.

1. It crashed on the second mission first room after hacking and trying to unlock the door. Well crash isn't the right word I could still click on things, but couldn't get the squad to move at all. There was an error message (didn't write it down) and so I cleared it hoping it might continue working.

2. There needs to be some sort of intro. Why are we in a ship why are we boarding these other ships what are these portals and why are we destroying them.

3. Controls are not intuitive. I eventually learned that to navigate between the screens one has to press q & e. It would be nice for there maybe to be some popups in the beginning giving you the run down.

4. The dialog in the ship isn't quite up to par with Zafehouse Diaries. Is there going to be a journal system implemented? How about talk between the characters when not on a mission.

5. Do skills increase from completing missions or only through equipment? If only equipment I would like to state I would prefer if experience helped increase the skills, but that's simply a personal preference.

6. Some pictures of the creatures in the database would be great once again it's more of a preference thing.

7. When creating characters on one I put confined spaces and isolation as positive things, though when the game started they were negative things.

8. I don't know if this would be your aim or anything, but dialog and story are what I believe will really define this game. Making choices based on the lore of this universe. Traveling, investigating, getting to realize the larger scope and true horror about what your're fighting against.

9. The music and sound really gave the game a good vibe, making people very cautious when playing.

10. In the first mission you're given the options to increase or decrease power. Though the options didn't have a noticeable effect. Also when hacked the dialog doesn't give any description about what that hack did.

I hope this helps!

Banjo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Demo Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
After fifteen mins of playing, I'd very much agree with #2, #4 and especially #6 and #3!

re: #3, would it be possible to let us use the mouse to scroll and the middle mouse button to rotate the view, too?

re: #4 (and #8 too)... Zafehouse Diaries was IMO was such a standout because of the "story" it built of the characters without that being even the main drive of the game. Deadnaut has this possibility too, in a different genre, and I really like the idea of using banter between the Deadnauts on mission, and perhaps dialog-only "cut-scenes" between missions to build their characters and relationships so that you feel it when you lose someone.

re: 6... while I thematically get the idea of attackers just being "blips" as such, I agree that I really want some more info and visuals on these things, even in database form.

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Demo Feedback
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Hey guys, thanks again for the feedback!

We'll be implementing a few pop-ups to help with the controls and we're looking at adding a mouse-based system for turning the player's head. We probably won't add mouse controls for rotating the map or alternative ways to scroll, as you can click on the buttons in the "NAV / ORBIT / ZOOM" section of the main view to do this already.

We're also supplementing the banter system with some additional content that leverages relationships and a few other things. It's not quite on the same scale as Zafehouse -- Deadnaut shares some similarities with ZD, but fundamentally it's a different game with different design goals -- but we feel it'll inject the "feel" of what ZD did.

As for the visuals -- while enemies do follow a number of templates, their attributes and virtual "appearance" can vary quite a bit -- limbs, eyes, and what not. We'd have to do a massive amount of work to support showing these as images accurately in the database. It's a good idea, but it's a little beyond the scope of what we can do.

archive
archive
archive
archive