Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2950 times)

Reffy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
Hello.

I just got the full game. I like it so far. Have a few questions:

1# What does the skill "intuition" do?

2# How do I proceed through rooms with low structural integrity? 10% and lower.

My objective was to find the ship's log. The only way was to go to a large room with 20% structural integrity. When I moved in, many aliens attacked my group. We took them out, but the fight was so big that the room integrity went to 6%.
The room is too large to move through without dying.
There's no other way besides going through that room.

3# Is there no option to abort mission? If too many things went wrong for instance.

My crew was at the escape hatch, but couldn't escape.
Maybe the mission is of utter importance, but sometimes it's just impossible, and it's a gameover if I proceed anyway.

4# Any option to pause the game, yet able to give orders?

Sometimes I'm attacked by aliens that are very close. I want to give shields to the people in front. Or maybe split up. But I can't move my mouse so fast that I'm able to control 5 persons individually.

5# Does a scanner detect sentinels?

6# In character creation, you have the childhood section.
-Isn't being afraid of bodies a flaw? And why does it cost a point to select it? You are better of putting it on random. It costs no point and you might even get a better result. If not, you still have a point to spare.

-If someone is more comfortable in damaged rooms, does that mean he isn't comfortable in intact rooms?

7# Any way to slightly randomize the ages? Instead of 21, 31, 66. You can count their points basically.

8# If a character has 1 stim equipped. Does that mean he can only use that stim once per mission? Or basically infinite?

9# Do characters automatically use shields (with the shield gun) and use stims when necessary? (Except for the stimulated flaw)

That's about it.

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »
Hello Reffy, good questions!

1# What does the skill "intuition" do?

Intuition increases the chances a Deadnaut will 'sense' a threat nearby - think of it like a very long-lasting sensor ping. The other is that they'll reveal more escape hatches. It's a subtle skill, but it can be very helpful - revealing a nearby escape hatch when you complete a mission could make the difference between success or failure.

This is good feedback on structural integrity, thanks for that.

Currently, the only way is to run through it as fast as you can. One tip could be to hack both doors open, give your DNs a Vigor stim (if they have one), and then make a dash for it.

3# Is there no option to abort mission? If too many things went wrong for instance.

You can't abort mid-mission. You have to complete the objective and then run to an escape hatch. Remember that you only need one person to survive - you can always clone your Deadnauts (if you can afford it).

4# Any option to pause the game, yet able to give orders?

There's no way to pause, but you can use hot-keys 1-5 to select your DNs. It's always best to keep be as prepared as possible - use scanners and throw fields regularly, if possible.

In later missions, you can equip your Deadnauts with personal shields and passive sensors.

5# Does a scanner detect sentinels?

Yes, they should be.

6# In character creation, you have the childhood section.
-Isn't being afraid of bodies a flaw? And why does it cost a point to select it? You are better of putting it on random. It costs no point and you might even get a better result. If not, you still have a point to spare.

The environmental options in Childhood may or may not be a flaw, depending on the Deadnaut's (ever changing) situation in the game. For example, being unstable around corpses in one room means they'll be a little more stable in a room that doesn't have corpses.

The reason they cost a point is that it can be beneficial to craft environmental preferences.

7# Any way to slightly randomize the ages? Instead of 21, 31, 66. You can count their points basically.

Ages are hard-coded, but this is something we can look at.

8# If a character has 1 stim equipped. Does that mean he can only use that stim once per mission? Or basically infinite?

They can use stims as much as they want, but there are a few limitations. First, subsequent stim uses reduce the length of the stim, and second, they increase the duration of the withdrawal.

So the more you use them, the less benefit you'll get.

9# Do characters automatically use shields (with the shield gun) and use stims when necessary? (Except for the stimulated flaw)

You need to trigger stims and fields directly. Fields will stay on for a while, provided the field 'thrower' is close to the target Deadnaut and in line-of-sight.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:03:05 AM by David »

Reffy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
I have a few other things.

# There's a flaw where a character can't hear orders. Sometimes that character does things on his own. The problem with this is that I had a character running of to a room that was clearly unstable. 6% integrity. I couldn't prevent that character from going there, nor could I remove her in time. It's also weird that a character waits in a room that is killing her.

# Could you view structural integrity of corridors? Cause my group died because I didn't knew corridors could also get damaged. Learned that the hard way. :)

# Could you make an active shield from the shield/barrier gun more visible? I can see the line when a deadnaut is shielding another deadnaut, but it's hard to see when they are using shields on themselves.

# I can't right click to move when there's a textbar ("INVESTIGATE" "UNLOCK" etc.). This only happens in small rooms. It's a minor inconvenience. Maybe this can be changed?

Blackhound

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
Field Guns have a passive shielding effect on the Deadnaut carrying it one of which is allowing you to pass through depressurized/hostile environments. A single Deadnaut with a Field Gun can transport two Deadnauts through safely, himself being one of them. If you're not under significant pressure you can ferry your Deadnauts through hostile areas using a single Field Gun and remaining calm - they are extremely handy to have. Later on any shield generator (such as a shield belt) should provide you with that safety barrier in most depressurized rooms if I am not mistaken.

archive
archive
archive
archive