frogsack

Author Topic: Sentinels  (Read 3080 times)

JimmyJazz

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Sentinels
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
I've been playing through the demo and thoroughly enjoying the game slowly crawling through these derelicts.  Unfortunately, too often I'll have the mission "destroy all portals" and then I'll be in some way forced to meet a Sentinel, which I've been assuming are the large turrets that completely, horribly murder everything. Sometimes they're sitting next to the portal I need to shoot, and cannot attack the portal without being seen by the turret, or I have to run through a room with one of them inside of it. I didn't find any way of hacking it, avoiding it isn't an option nor is attacking it directly so they wipe my game regularly when normally I would survive.
How am I supposed to deal with these things?

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Sentinels
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
Hey JimmyJazz,

The best way to deal with sentinels is to hack them, after which they won't attack your deadnauts. You'll need to equip one of your deadnauts with a tech suit and decrypter. You'll then be able to access network consoles (they'll have a "HACK" tag attached to them). Note that your crew must first visually identify a sentinel before you can hack it.

Watchers will eventually reset your hacks, but it should buy you enough time to do what you need to.

JimmyJazz

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
Thanks Logan, that method seems to work out! been surviving the sentinels more often now. I didn't really understand what the game meant by "the watchers" until very recently it seems. Alternatively I've had some trouble with getting through rooms with low integrity. A shield soldier fixed up my problem with getting around them for a while but he died leaving me with no apparent way of progressing without killing my soldiers.
Are there any other potential methods for surviving damaged rooms other than those "shieldnauts"?
I don't want to seem overly negative or critical, but having such heavy restrictions on dealing with the games problems feels a little frustrating sometimes.
Sorry, if this is coming off as rude.

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
A deadnaut with a field thrower is your best bet for getting through damaged rooms -- you can apply shields to multiple deadnauts, which should help.

One of the challenges of the game is figuring out the best mix of deadnauts to take with you, and keeping those deadnauts alive so you don't lose that flexibility when you need it. Structural integrity is always an issue, but you can mitigate it in the full game by using beam weapons rather than ballistic.

The demo is also harder than the full game simply because you have three deadnauts, while in the full game you have five. This makes it easier to adapt your crew to an upcoming mission.

Shanor

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
Sentinels are biggest threat in the game in my opinion.  They too often stands in big almost empty room, on side where i cannot detect\see them, far from reach of the scanner, but they clearly see my crew.

archive
archive
archive
archive