frogsack

Author Topic: Aspect Ratio Woes  (Read 3029 times)

Kasper Hviid

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Aspect Ratio Woes
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:49:47 AM »
I just bought the game, downloaded it, installed, started it up ... and quitted. :'-(

I'm using a Surface tablet, which for whatever reason has an aspect ratio stuck somewhere between 4:3 and 16:9. The problem is that Deadnaut stretches its 16:9 image to fill the entire screen. Mostly, you can get away with stretching the image quite a lot, without people even noticing. But here, it looks rather horrible, since the perfectly round window in the center is no longer perfectly round.

Any way around this?

Kasper Hviid

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Aspect Ratio Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:53:39 AM »
Allright - I have found that looking for a resolution somewhat closer to my monitors 3:2 aspect ratio makes the stretches less extreme ... will go through each resolution and see what it looks like and then pick the best.

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
Hey Kasper,

If you're willing to use the Windows registry, you can actually set a custom resolution if none of the available ones are sufficient.

Navigate to the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Screwfly Studios\Deadnaut" and look for the settings that begin with the following:

Code: [Select]
Resolution.Height
Resolution.Width
Screenmanager Resolution Height
Screenmanager Resolution Width

These values contain the current width/height of the game's resolution. You can edit these to set whatever resolution you like, just make sure they match!

Sorry it's not that user-friendly. If you need some help changing the values, let me know.

flyer138

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
Hi Logan,

is there a difference between resolution and screenmanager resolution?

I am asking since I try to improve the readability of fonts ingame. They are very small and lack a bit sharpness on my system. My current resolution is set to 1280x1024.

Is there a way to improve things? Maybe I missed something.

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
Unity, the game engine we use, has its own internal settings for the game resolution. Those are the "screenmanager" entries you see.

However, we've found Unity's application of these settings haphazard at best, so we override its normal behaviour with our own logic. Unfortunately, to make sure the game applies the custom settings you want, you'll have to set both entries to the same values.

Regarding the sharpness issues -- that would sound like the game isn't running at your display's native resolution, so if you can tweak theses values to match, it would definitely help.

flyer138

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
Thank you for the helpful hints, Logan. I had tuned the values to the display's 'native' solution but I find the fonts are still a bit  small and a little blurred.

By the way, selecting MSAA with any value will vertically flip the screen. Although it is flipped the controls stay in place where they normally should be. It's really strange.

archive
archive
archive
archive