Author Topic: Ambiguous Offense/Defense Bars  (Read 3224 times)

Sanagi

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Ambiguous Offense/Defense Bars
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
I'll just repost what I put on on Steam...
Just a quick something I'd like clarification on; the Threat display's simple enough at top with all the text, but the bars at the bottom, both Offense/Defense, leave me scratching my head a bit.

It should probably be obvious to me, but how should one read these? For instance, if a beasty has long bars in Cyber, Neural, and Chemical for Resistances, does that mean they're more resistant to those than the rest? Likewise, for Stealth, do the longer bars represent what they're -more- detectable in, or the reverse (Ex. If they've got almost nothing in scent and thermal, but a little more in Visual and Spectral, does that mean they're more easily-detected in those latter two categories, and hence I'd want a Spectral scanner or the like?) Might as well ask for clarification on the rest as well.

I recall the manual at least describing how stealth bars work, but some of the others are somewhat subjective in meaning. Should I just assume that higher bar = the creature in question is 'better' at this thing? Say, long bars in resistances/defenses mean it's more resistant/defended against those things, and likewise long bars in attack types mean it inflicts those sorts of damage more often?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:05:01 PM by Sanagi »

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Ambiguous Offense/Defense Bars
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
Hello Sanagi. All stats except for stealth is 'higher-is-better'. So if a threat has a high armour for melee, it's better protected against melee.

The exception is stealth which, as you guessed, means the threat is more detectable where the bars are higher.

Sanagi

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
Ah, alrighty! Just wanted to make sure, so thank you kindly!

Emetivore

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:27:20 AM »
Wait a second... Higher stealth bars on an enemy means it's easier to spot them with that type? So, a guy with high Thermal stealth means that he's easy to see with Thermal? Can you clarify this?

Emetivore

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
On my current game, I'm playing vs. Xenomorphs. They have:
High Optical, Thermal, Sound and Scent stealth (the bar is full)
Low Radio and Spectral stealth (the bar is empty)

So, That means they are easy to see, hear, smell, and they show up on thermal, but they emit no radio and no spectral signal. I should purchase any scanner except for radio or spectral.

** Is that correct, or do I have it backwards?

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
Hello Emetivore - yep, that's correct!

Emetivore

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
Thank you! It seems to me like this is backwards, before this post I had it wrong.

An observation:
Armor, Resistances and Stealth are the 3 columns in the Defense tab, high armor and resistances mean better defense but high stealth means _lower_ defense. I think you could eliminate the confusion here by reversing that. Higher stealth, logically, should mean harder to detect by those means, particularly since it's in the Defense tab and that's how the other 2 columns work in this tab. Currently it seems wonky, for UI and for consistency.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:33:26 AM by Emetivore »

archive
archive
archive
archive