frogsack

Author Topic: First impressions, in order discovery  (Read 1848 times)

GeneralChaos

• Survivor
    • View Profile
First impressions, in order discovery
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
Inconsistent movement between areas.
Back (down arrow/S) changes function unexpectedly between areas and facing.
Bedroom:  Door/Rear of the train :180 turn, Operator Book: Towards front of train, Bed: Towards front of train

Centre: Towards front or back of train: 180 turn, Facing either console: Towards front of train

Front: Facing the console: 180 turn, Facing any other direction: Nothing

Pressing forward doesn't have consistent results either, puts you into bed if you're in the bedroom, or out of the room others. Doesn't enter any other stations, but changes your direction to the back of the train if you're in the centre. Movement system is messy.

<bug> Zooming into centre stations. Blocks partially right-click and drag. But if you move away using left and right the lock remains even though you've left the console.
No easy way to zoom out except by pressing ESC. I expect I should be able to right-click to back away.
Actually, I don't know why you zoom in to the side consoles when you don't at the driving console/map.

Fog appeared to max out at 25 on the driving area dial immediately after the leaving start, which made sense. But then maximum fog travelled with me as I travelled at medium speed to a new location.
I feel like this might be wrong, or the mechanic is too opaque.
Attempted to scavenge at first location. My crew appeared to have about 17 minutes of scavenging time, but then immediately I got feedback that they'd returned after 0 seconds.
Gave up, went and had dinner.

Tried again at slow speed. After 3-4 days (of doing basically nothing but clicking through the times then lying in bed again... no meaningful choices here.) fog maxed out in immediate vicinity, and travelled basically nowhere, and got first attack, where I lost most of my carriage's hull. Set speed to full, fog expanded even faster! Got attacked again and ran out of fuel. Can't scavenge, nothing nearby. Lost people in hail mary. Got fuel, but apparently couldn't use it.
Gave up again.

It's extremely frustrating because I'm fighting the game. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I don't know how to do it, and it's hard to attempt things.

*edit: it's not all bad. I really enjoyed the special effects during the attacks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:45:13 AM by Logan »

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions, in order discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Hey GeneralChaos, thanks for the feedback (and having a few cracks at it).

Just a quick question: did your first play take you through the tutorial?

Kowals

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
In my case, game stuck when I had to fast forward the time (to get to "work"), forced close, reopened, and the tutorial was completely gone... I feel like I need it

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »
In my case, game stuck when I had to fast forward the time (to get to "work"), forced close, reopened, and the tutorial was completely gone... I feel like I need it

We only auto-activate the tutorial the first time you play, but you can go through it again by going to custom game, selecting the "Blank Slate" ID card and then clicking "Start Game" in the bottom right corner.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:02:36 AM by Logan »

Kowals

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 12:00:47 AM »

We only auto-activate the tutorial the first time you play, but you can go through it again by going to custom game, selecting the "Blank Slate" ID card and the clicking "Start Game" in the bottom right corner.

Exactly what I needed! thanks!

GeneralChaos

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
Yeah, I did roughly follow the tutorial.
I struggled with a couple of things because you have to dismiss the tutorial messages to try the thing the message said - but then I couldn't see the message again in case I got something wrong. I had trouble initially with rigging the voting. I missed the bit about bringing up the lotto list, then clicking on the crews dots on the alignment display. Couldn't go back to check it again easily.

Using the F1-F4 keys to get around the train is more effective than walking. I guess the movement controls will go a lot more unused as you get used to the hotkeys.

I've had time to mull over some other things, though I'm not in a position to check for a while.
The Lotto phase is run, regardless of if going out to scavenge is even an option.
Does the lottery also determine who in a carriage does work that day?
If you skip the lottery is it done randomly anyway?
Is there a key to skip phases with a quick-key?

David

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
Hello GeneralChaos, thanks for the feedback.

Re the lottery - yep, it's run every day, even if you don't select any 'winners' or use auto-fill.

The lottery winners are only used on scavenging runs and Hail Mary runs. If there are fewer than five on the lottery (because someone died on a previous mission, let's say), then your passengers will choose another passenger to 'fill the gap'.

We'll update the build so that the lottery card lists the names of anyone on the lottery.

To skip phases, hit TAB when you're not zoomed in on one of the interaction areas.

archive
archive
archive
archive