Author Topic: [BUG][1.3.0/1.3.1] Soldier type enemies friendly-fire themselves like mad  (Read 1599 times)

Cat Lady

• Survivor
  • Purrfect.
    • View Profile
I refrained from reporting it for a while, cause i thought about it as balance issue, but the problem is so severe, that I think it deserves being in "bug" category, after all:

Basically, the holo projector wrecks enhanced/evolved & friends so much, that is feels like cheat. As only shooting enemies in game (that doesn't instantly teleport, like horrors), They mindlessly pew-pew each other as soon as holo projection is in the same room as them (obviously, trying to shoot the hologram). The issue gets more severe the highest difficulty level the game is at (due to increased damage of enemies) - at highest, it is usually enough to use weakest holo projector few times in room full of them, to have only one of them alive (usually, barely) at the end.

Sadly, it takes away challenge of fighting "soldier" type enemies, which are meant to be hardest - instead, from mission 2 onwards, they're easiest, as it stands now. On the other hand, they're so good in every other situations, that *not* using holograms to drive them away from the room/separate them handicaps player too much, so it is either cheat-kill them via friendly fire, or die.
---

The issue is even higher due to traps being *enormously* under-powered. I made a test against enemies that were *least* resistant to blast penetration, and *most* resistant to ballistic, at highest difficulty. Using "medium heat trap", it required certain enhanced type B to step on them (via being lured) exactly 34 times to die. At the same time, light heat pistol (so worse penetration, same damage type) killed other specimen of same type in 7 seconds. also, I haven't noticed him catching fire due to trap ever once, while he got instantly set on fire due to being shoot on pistol (mind the lower resistance to blast penetration, and higher to ballistic!). For comparison - using "standard holo projector" required 19 seconds to kill *four* of them in crowded room via friendly fire.

Summing it up, traps are pathetically useless, which leaves only holo projector as usable "toy" to not-directly wreck evolved/enhanced - at the same time, being so much over-powered against them, that ti takes away whole challenge.

Cheers,
/Cat Lady

flyer138

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Speaking about the traps Cat Lady is absolutely right. In the current version of Deadnaut traps are really as good as useless.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:57:00 PM by flyer138 »

Logan

• Developer
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

I've made a few changes based on your feedback:

* First off, there was a bug with mines that prevented them applying critical effects (such as burning, confusion, etc). Seeing as that is the primary benefit of mines, this did indeed make them underpowered. In addition to fixing this bug, I've made them more effective by incorporate the user's combat skill.

* Seeing as Deadnauts can't hit each other with their own laser / ballistic fire, it seems only fair the Enhanced/Evolved enemies can't hit each other either. This should fix the hologram exploit (as it were).

* Holograms now decay faster and take significantly more damage. On the upside, I've increased the bonus provided by the operator.

Cat Lady

• Survivor
  • Purrfect.
    • View Profile
Huge thanks for considering that - I actually thought that you're not going to touch balance. It seems that I will have few more builds to try out, considering mines and proper stealth scouts :)

Also, to complete my Deadnauts "personal achievement", I need to beat "Soldiers" while they stopped acting like panicked lemmings on the sight of hologram... Tough times ahead, methinks.

archive
archive
archive
archive